In an effort to eat healthier, along with the recent chicken shortage, I’ve discovered the joys using fried cauliflower as a main dish. It can be used in place of chicken in so many ways, and you’ll barely notice a difference in taste. While my recipe describes how to make it in an air fryer, you can certainly deep fry or bake it also. Here is the most basic recipe, along with some of my favorite serving suggestions:
- About 4 Cups Raw Cauliflower, cut into bite size florets.
- ¼ C flour
- 2 Eggs
- 2 T Milk
- 2 Cups Breadcrumbs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Your choice of seasonings
- Cooking spray (if air-frying)
You’ll need 3 bowls.
Place cauliflower in the first bowl and season with salt and pepper. Toss with flour until pieces are lightly coated.
In the second bowl, beat the eggs and milk until well blended.
Gently toss the cauliflower in the basket, re-spray the top, and fry for 4-6 more minutes until golden brown.
One by one, dip each piece of dredged cauliflower into the egg mixture, and then roll in the breadcrumbs until well covered. Place on a plate until all are ready to fry.
- Preheat air fryer for 5 minutes at 390 degrees.
- When heated, spray the basket with cooking spray and place the cauliflower pieces inside in a single layer. (Fry in batches, if necessary.)
- Lightly spray the cauliflower with cooking spray. Air fry for 6 minutes.
- Gently toss the cauliflower in the basket, re-spray the top, and fry for 4-6 more minutes until golden brown.