Perhaps during the winter you’ve thought of some projects that could be done around your house. Spring is the perfect time to get started because we’re a bit rested up and warm weather arrives!
So here are some ideas. It’s not an exhaustive list, nor a mandatory one!
Outside Maintenance & Cleaning
- Clean and repair gutters and downspouts clogged with fall leaves before the spring rainy season.
- Power wash your home’s exterior to brighten its look and prevent growth of mold & mildew.
- Inspect your roof for missing or cracked shingles that will cause bigger problems later.
- Check the joints between the bricks or stones of your chimney to make sure all is intact.
- Inspect your home’s foundation and repair any small cracks before they expand and create more serious issues in the future.
- Look for loose or splintered boards on your deck and determine if it’s time to re-stain and seal.
- Rake and clear debris from your lawn and tune up all your yard and garden equipment.
- Remove lawn furniture from storage, inspect it for damage, and give it a good cleaning to prepare it for use.
Inside Maintenance & Cleaning
- Have your heating and cooling system inspected to make sure it’s operating at its maximum efficiency. Clean and replace air conditioning filters regularly.
- Inspect window seals for leaks and replace any weather stripping and caulk where appropriate. Clean your windows and screens inside and out.
- Check plumbing for leaky faucets, clogged drains, and sweaty pipes. Watch for water stains around your dishwasher and check washing machine hoses for cracks or dampness.
- Inspect your basement for excessive humidity and look for cracks that may be causing water penetration. Examine exposed wood framework for signs of tunneling insects.
- Spring is a great time to do general cleaning of those easily forgotten areas – such as chair rails, ceiling fans, and tops of cabinets. Launder or dry clean draperies and wipe down blinds. Vacuum your furniture and mattresses and consider shampooing your carpeting.
- Give your home’s exterior a new look with a fresh coat of paint. Or if your vinyl siding is looking faded and worn, maybe it’s time for an update.
- Consider increasing your home’s value by building a new deck for outdoor entertaining or family relaxation. Increase your living space by installing an enclosed porch or Florida room.
- Something as small as installing a new mailbox can increase your home’s sidewalk appeal. Choose one that complements the style of your house.
- Think about a new landscaping project, such as a flower bed or planting trees. Consider placing fast growing trees in locations that maximize sun or shade to your house and provide protection from wind.
- Give the interior of your home a new look with a fresh coat of paint or new carpeting. An occasional change in colors helps renew excitement to your living space.
Hopefully we’ve jogged your mind to select something above or to come up with your own. One thing for sure, once you’ve done one, the next project is easier to select.